Assembled here are the best Oppositelock posts from Wednesday and Thursday. Today we've got international excursions for automotive enthusiast, how to help your friends with their cars, exotic car design and more.
A couple weeks ago, I ran into an old friend of mine who had recently taken a semester abroad in Spain. When I asked him about the experience he said it was great, but expensive. Five-figures expensive. Of course, the automotive enthusiast in me immediately retorted with, "wow, you could buy yourself a pretty nice set of wheels with that kind of money." My friend's response was simply, "yeah but I'll probably never have the same experience ever again."
- How To (Effectively) Not Get The Short End Of The Gear Head Stick... - J. Drew Silvers
When people find out you're "handy" with cars, a perpetual flood gate tends to open the moment they are caught in the middle of some sort of mechanically motivated crisis. Actually, I have personally figured out that being a gear-head also somehow means you are well versed in the functioning structures of things such as (but not limited to): hot water heaters, HVAC systems, and home plumbing. Why? Yeah, I have no idea, but these are generally the least of a gear-head's worries concerning those who call upon such services which tend to be more assumed than actually available.
- Exotic Car Design Boredom - PaulJones
I'll admit, I do like the new California slightly better than Pininfarina's other monstrosities of late. But even so, there is just nothing here that tugs at your heart when you look at it. There's nothing here that makes you dream about thinking how good that cute blonde a few doors down would like driving this. There's just nothing that does anything to pull at emotions here.
- Would You Rather Race Cars of Fly? - whatisthatsound
I have always enjoyed fast cars and big vans, and I think it is pretty easy to understand why after a little background. I grew up in the jump seat of a 1990 mystery blue Volvo 240. That sort of speed at 4 years old, while sticking my tongue out at the car waiting behind us at the red light, was exhilarating. Who would have thought dog-fur covered wagon would lead to a love of cars.
- Heinously Unreliable Used Car Battle of the Week: Executive Sedans - The Common Gearhead
As a devoted (read: clinically insane) automotive enthusiast, I spend most of my time on the internet perusing car-related sites and videos when I should be doing more productive things, like studying… or paying attention to literally anything else at all that isn't car-related. But because I am afflicted with this car crazy curse, naturally I spend a significant amount of time on used car sites looking for enthusiast cars (read: unreliable and slightly one-off)… So, without further ado, I present the first installment of the Common Gearhead's weekly (if I have time) series: Heinously Unreliable Used Car Battle of the Week!
- F1 Preview: Toro Rosso - tomtom615
For the next couple weeks, I'm gonna put out a preview for every F1 team for the 2014 season. Scuderia Toro Rosso was formed in 2008 after purchasing the Minardi F1 team and has been a mid pack team ever since. They have finished between 6th and 10th in constructor's standings every year since their inception and have one win to their name. The team has mostly served as a AAA affiliate of Red Bull Racing. Also check out F1 Preview: Sauber.
- Seven Mustachioed Hombres Built This Epic BatMobile - TheDailyTurismo
The Batmobile is more than just a piece of transportation for masked crime fighting millionaires. It is a statement. Sometimes it says; "Bruce Wayne works the night shift at the local lumber mill," while other times it says "I like to weld."… Find this BatMobile Replica for sale in San Juan, TX currently bidding for $8,989 reserve-not-met with 2 days to go.
There has been an age-old Bro saying that has been stuck in my head for years: "Go hard or go home". This is applicable with many of the cars that we love here. It's also applicable to this ridiculous boat. And God I love this boat.
- The Historic Racetrack in my own backyard - MeLikeyTheVroomVroom
I grew up several decades ago in suburban Atlanta, in Cobb County near the Chattahoochee River. Near my neighborhood, there was a wooded area that has since been split up into lots where McMansions are now situated. But back then, it was just a semi-mysterious piece of forest.
The Best of the Rest
Desu-San-Desu hooned snowmageddon. Jbh got some Porsches together. DatASSun took some black and white shots of his Datsun. Makoyouidiot did some work on his project. 505Turbeaux spent the weekend carspotting in NOLA. Mathias Rios' car likes snow. Ssm-one found his mother's 1978 Canadian GP Pit pass. DSG_Sport attended the Chicago Auto Show.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion on Wednesday and Thursday. Take a peek and chime in on some of those listed below:
- Underloved Engines
- Any BREWSKI drinkers?
- What Color Would You Get it In: BMW E30 3-Series
- When do you fill your tank?
- What's your worst mpg?
- Do you patronize products that sponsor your sport?
- What Is The Greatest Racing Livery?
- Show me: Your most Irrational Wants
- Help me Love the 968
- Which Would You Rather? Uberhatch Edition
- PollTime: V12 Lambo Edition
- What Car Is Perfect For Iowa?
- What Would You Do?
- DD, Track Track, Burn
- What Are The Worst Auto-Related TV -Show Errors?
- Best Race Car Under 30 Grand?
- Show Us: The Best Moments of Corvette History
- Which Would You Rather? Muscle Sedan Edition
- My Crazy Idea For BMW
- What Color Would You Get it In: Audi A3
- What's the weirdest thing you've found in a car?
Just the #tips
- A crowd funded formula D Miata
- Making of Top Gear McLaren P1
- This is utterly terrifying in the best way possible
- An Oldie but a Goodie
- So, is Ferrari's partnership with Pininfarina over?
- A speed trap hidden in a snow plow
- Intrateam Pit Crew Competitions
- Bike Crashes in Reverse
- This guy makes me nervous. Bonus crank bolt removal tip
- Volvo Wagon + 2jz + skidz = Worlds most obnoxious sleeper
- Porsche, Ferrari, Bizzarrini and other fundamental steps in life - A beautiful Youtube documentary
- Volvo V8 Supercar: This is it
- My god, that W108 is making me speechless
- Vancouver Camaro Driver Sends Pedestrians in All Directions
- Octane explained
- Slob Returns Robbed Knob Due to Mob
- Hey Look a Rolls Royce... [crash]
- The McLaren P1 onboard looks like a fast forwarded video
- Buying a New Sport Compact in Canada just got More Affordable!
- 31 Full season WEC entries
- Richard Hammond Reviews the 1999 Subaru Legacy
- No Diggity Auto-tune : Flula
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted on Oppositelock:
- The Adventure That Became A Bonding Experience Between My Miata And I
- 2014 Sprint Unlimited Preview
- The 8-Bit Miata. Going from video games to simulators to real life drifting