Current pics of a Series IIa Land Rover project.

Current pics of a Series IIa Land Rover project.


Ladies and Gents, this is "Busted", a '64 short wheelbase currently growing from a new galvanized chassis, depicted here courtesy my new potato. Busted has a pair of cleaned up and gone through axles, and an engine and B-version trans ready to go... probably. On the left is the rear bucket, which has had an outer fender panel replaced (or as I like to call it, a buttcheek), ready for the aluminum welder.

That hood, actually, is not the one slated for use, but is out because it needs something welded on it. The actual hood to be used (a "deluxe" as opposed to the standard you see, but also with tire mount), is visible over the top of it - just the edge. Different in having a rolled front edge and a recess for the tire. Also visible - a rear transmission PTO unit, a part of Operation "This Land Rover can run a generator for no reason, fnarr fnarr"

Current pics of a Series IIa Land Rover project.


This is the aluminum seat box, also waiting for the welder. The driver's side has a steel box that rivets in place underneath, and it is a prime location for corrosion. I replaced the left-hand outer panel wholesale, as it was too corroded to save - it needs welds along the front edge. Some other damage also needs welds - I only caused some of that damage myself in the rabid disassemble frenzy.

Current pics of a Series IIa Land Rover project.


Here are Busted's lower doors. They've had some new steel welded into the lower part of their frames, and have been stripped. The scorch marks are due to them being sooted intentionally with a torch, the first step in annealing the metal for fixing dents. Aluminum is in some respects much trickier than steel...

I didn't set fire to the bondo/paint on the doors, unlike the hood. Perhaps I should have, but by that point I'd already stripped them. Booo.

Current pics of a Series IIa Land Rover project.

This picture contains the tailgate (some straightening, welding needed), but more relevantly contains the badly corroded aluminum plate from the seat - now removed, as I used it as a template. Had some shitty paint ling around that wasn't any good for the car, but Banksy-stenciling new parts out of scrap aluminum - perfect.

Current pics of a Series IIa Land Rover project.

As a look forward, this pic has the primered upper door halves and the firewall - among the parts that will join what I've shown worked on when the first round of parts goes to paint. That firewall got a lot of work done earlier and has been standing by until more progress is made. The door halves came in from the UK a couple of weeks back. Which is good, because the old ones were pending a nightmare of rust and new piece making to fix.

Thanks for reading. Here's another whole-project view, other updates will come as time permits.

Current pics of a Series IIa Land Rover project.