Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing over the weekend and Monday. It includes an ode to the VW camper van, a Lamborghini that time forgot, the Aston Martin Virage/Vantage and more.
- Ode to the Volkswagen Camper Van - Max Prince [Speedmonkey]
Yes, the T2-gen Type 2 – the last classically styled Volkswagen live-in trim microbus – has finally bitten the dust, set to cease production in Brazil later this year. The axing of an old car rarely tugs at my heartstrings, and the Camper Van should lend little exception; it was introduced by VW in 1951, far before my time, and the last thing a sports car enthusiast should care about is a 29hp split-window panel van. But, while never a dream car, the Camper Van was the car of my dreams.
- Rush on Poll - FractalFootwork
[A lot] of you saw Rush last [weekend], and I'm certain you have some opinions about it. I thought it would be interesting to aggregate these opinions and see what the average Jalop auto enthusiast thought about the movie compared to the average non-enthusiast.
- Cars that time forgot - Lamborghini Silhouette - themanwithsauce
As a wee lad growing up, I had my walls decorated with the usual allotment of posters. But I made it a point to seek out those magical creations from stuttgart to fill my wall space. The 911, 928, 944, 956, 962, and 917 rotated on my walls as I was growing up. It didn't help that my dad was a porsche tech when I was young. It was like having an addict working for pfizer or bayer. But when I got older, I happened upon one of these in a dimly lit corner of a European specialist repair shop. I have forever felt like I wasted some wall space because of it.....
- Fantasy WRC: France - Dusty Ventures
After our jaunt down under we're back in Europe for the final three rounds of the championship, starting with a return to tarmac in France. France is the final all-tarmac event of the season (Spain's first day is gravel) and has been known for its share of dramatic moments. With the return to tarmac and the return to Europe comes the return of the WRC's winningest driver, as Sebastien Loeb straps in one more time for what is to be his final WRC event ever, his swan song in front of his home crowd.
Between the gorgeous Astons of the 1960s such as DB5s, often remembered for being driven by hairy chested men boasting triple digit names, and their striking newer cars like the DB9 or V8 Vantage, it’s easy to overlook some of their underdogs from between those periods. Enter the Aston Martin Virage built through the 1990s...
Today, my mercedes is having its 500th day living in my home! So I think she deserve a review. I got when my boss told me to get a better car. Then he told me to visit his friend, a coal businessman, that was bored with his W140 and needed something new. I think i like it better than the other cars on my list, the BMW 530i E60, and the Jaaaaaaag XJ 3.2 Sport. Why? Because V12.
- Television history of the 'Boost Button' - GrindIntoSecond
1980’s world was normal life punctuated by big hits of excitement. Concerts began to sell out stadiums! Normal concert halls or bars were not enough. Pot turned to Cocaine! Normal highs were not good enough. Cars widely became turbocharged! N/A was not enough. Yep, everything we knew was boosted instantly when we were dissatisfied so why not boost our TV shows!! Television and life took a big jump embracing all things turbo charged. TV or drugs, a boost had to be there or we didn’t care.
- World War Oppo: Honda Civic - jus1029
Welcome to World War Oppo, where two similar cars yet different from each other battle it out and you decide on who wins. Today, we take a look at a Japanese twin, one that is down-right boring and one that is surprisingly cool: the Honda Civic, international vs. European spec.
The Best of the Rest
505Turbeaux found some great old F1 photos. MR2_FTW did a photoshoot with his Cressida wagon and MR2. McMike attended Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA. Rabbitman took his wife to meet some celebrities and saw some cool cars. SteyrTMP made some videos on his drive home in his Locost. NinetyQ took the '52 Buick for a drive before it turned a little incontinent. SnapUndersteer drove his e36 M3 in an HPDE session around Mid Ohio. 71MGBGT shared some photos of his 'turbopumpkin' WRX. TwinTurboBMW's dad bought a Volvo P1800s. BiTurbo228 drove a Peugeot 106 GTi. JawzX2 bought a Fiesta ST. Drunkenup2 bought a e92 335i. Doodon2whls spotted a 1938/39 Plymouth Jubilee P6 on the street in colonial New Castle. Hermann saw some interesting cars.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion over the last day. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- How would you describe an enthusiast, versus an "enthusiast" Oppo?
- How do you ask a complete stranger if a car in their yard is for sale?
- What do you think the best sounding car is?
- Video to GIF megathread #4
- What is your detailing routine?
- What Are The Best Dogs For Car Owners?
- One Car Garage - Land Rover
Just the #tips
- World Rallycross Championship Promo
- Dealers Are Charging a 21 THOUSAND DOLLAR Premium For a New Stingray
- Motorcyclist vs. Flood; Flood wins
- 1100 hp TT Ford GT vs. 1100 hp TT Viper
- Possible New World [Roll-over] Record!?
- Volkswagen working on new VR6 engine
- Hungarian Builds Wooden Car
- Possible BMW N20 and N26 Recall
- Land Rover cannot make enough Range Rovers to supply demand
- An interesting presentation on traffic
- The best review of WRC Australia you will ever see
- Callaway Stingray Shooting Brake Gets Green Light
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock:
- My Day with Thirty Seven Stingray Corvettes
- M3 Duality: Which Would You Choose?
- Get These Performance Cars Before the Year's Out!
- 1977 BMW 530i: 36 Years of Pristine
- Today in Automotive History: Rudolf Diesel dies mysterious Death
- The Cars Of Breaking Bad’s Final Episode
- Meet The Greatest Car the World Over
- The Real Rush- 1976 Formula 1 on Youtube
- This Thing Is The Pace Car Of The Zombie Apocalypse
- This wins worst parking ever of the year
- Automotive Crossroads: An Undeniable Facet of the Auto Enthusiast Persona