Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing on Tuesday. It includes the basics of supercar ownership, Stance and the TÜV inspection, a lowrider Radio Flyer and more.
- So you want a supercar? Part 1 - The Basics - Battery Tender Unnecessary
This isn't about how to get a supercar, it's about what to expect once you've got it. The things you may never have considered. Part 1 is going to cover the basic things you will experience on a day to day basis. Later parts will cover the less frequent and more obscure parts of ownership. Travis got a taste of what to expect so I thought I might go more in-depth.
Seems like there is still alot of love around for the venerable old 240, as in I don't know too many people that actually hate the car. Usually there is a version for everyone. There were a ton of workhorse and special models that show how versatile that car really could be. Let's see if I don't miss any.
- When Stance goes wrong and other funny things the TÜV found - Klaus Schmoll
The German TÜV is known/feared for its thorough safety inspections and a no-nonsense attitude. The price for no speed limits on the Autobahn is very rigorous (and expensive) driver training, and a strict regime for keeping the cars that are on the road in a safe state. Every two years a car has to pass TÜV inspections.
- New Escalade teaser is why I hate new vehicle teasing - Juan Barnett
I’m not a fan of slow reveals and teasers. Seeing a new product for the first time should be more like a hookup after a night out on the town. When you get home you don’t want a slow strip tease. Instead you want to knock over lamps and trip over animals as you get down to business. The same should apply to vehicle reveals. Brands should keep their mouth shut, head down and work to perfect. When the time comes pull the wraps off and leave the public speechless.
- Series May Change, but a Good Livery Lives On - Turner Motorsport
This weekend is the last Grand-Am race weekend. No more Grand-Am. Ever. It is absorbed along with ALMS to form United Sports Car Racing. So what? Series change names and change rules, but there will be sports car racing in 2014 and time rolls on. Still, we got to thinking. Could this really be the last weekend an M3 ever races as a professional GT car?
- Stealerships Part III - His Stigness
The Pleasant Experience. Not all car buying experiences are bad. I bought my Mom's Golf TDI last year and while it wasn't the smoothest of experiences, it was pretty damn good. And the experience started and ended with the salesman.
This front-page post about the potential for an ABARTH 500L reminded me of this Carscoops post I saw earlier today. See, the Fiat 500 is - by modern standards at least - a pretty small car. Much of America considers the Ford Focus a small car, so when sales of something two size categories down from that were slow in the US, I wasn't overly surprised. Now that they've picked up and the car's been out elsewhere for nearly 7 years, Fiat are readying the new car for 2015 to tackle the new BMW 0-Series for 2014/5. But do they listen to the America or Europe when it comes to size?
The Best of the Rest
MR2_FTW shared his friend's lowrider Radio Flyer build. Paizuri4G63 posted part 2 of his Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix weekend photodump. TheJWT posted part 3 of his cars and motorcycles of Brooklyn series. Bandit saw a 2014 Camaro SS and an AMC AMX at a local dealership. Sanchez got the suspension and brakes installed on his 69 Charger.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion over the last day. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- What Are Your Favorite Jalopnik Articles Of All Time?
- Do different countries drive manuals differently?
- What is Car Hell?
- One Car Garage - Lancia
- Lateral G Question
- Carb Question
- Family car with 6+ seats in Europe, what to get?
- CarDomaining - "Aston Infiniti DB35 Edition."
- Anybody with any 996TT experience?
- The worst looking car keys
- ZJ or not to ZJ
- Show me the best, prettiest, awesomest, coolest, awkwardest, non-military planes
- What's the best video game intro with cars in it?
- What do you guys think about smoked tails?
Just the #tips
- Formula E...Doing Donuts
- Mika Hakkinen drives the M23
- AWD LS2 Olds Cutlass
- Blackhawk Pilot Gets A Parking Ticket
- Ford Mondeo is 20 - let Ray Winstone tell you about it
- Setting the 'Ring record gets complicated for SRT... [cool story … bro]
- Hey look, M-B will sell you a milk crate with your CLA
- Polish motoring blog had a photoshop front swap contest
- Parking Garage Drift
- Driving & Talking: '06 Corvette Z06
- WRC driver Mats Østberg takes his Ford GT40 in a drag race against an Extra 300
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock:
- Vauxhall Astra VXR vs Subaru BRZ - shoot out
- What is Car Heaven?
- If we had retroactive safety labels they’d look like this
- AT-ST Imperial Scout Walker Only Used On Weekends By Retired Jedi