Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing on Thursday and Friday. It includes Asshat parking, the Kroboth Microcar, Formula D and more.
- Fed up with handicap parking violators - hotwheels882
Well Jalops... as someone with a disability (a real one!), I finally had it with seeing yet another jerk blatantly disregard other people's rights and disabilities all in the name of laziness. Once again, I pull into a parking lot for a morning meeting at a local coffee shop and witness the worst offender of all... Mr. or Ms. Murano illegally parked right smack dab in between two handicap spots. Why is this worse than illegally parking in an actual handicap spot? Because by doing this you are potentially preventing someone with a disability to access their car entirely (unless going through the trunk is an option but that's pretty tough with a wheelchair and legs that don't work). And in this particular case you are preventing possibly TWO people from accessing their cars or even parking there!
- Mazda, The Most Badass Company Ever? - -Amateur
If the answer is always Miata, Insto-Facto, the answer is always Mazda. You know for it to be true. Building RWD roadsters and rotaries, what's not to love? Mazda builds cars to satisfy the enthusiast. There aren't very many of us left in today's world but Mazda doesn't care if there's just one of us left.
Gustav Kroboth was a longtime tinkerer who had built his own engine and tiny car in the 1920's. After WWII, he lived in the Bavarian countryside where he built all manner of things including poppyseed grinders and toys made from salvaged tank parts. He eventually got the money together to manufacture a scooter.
- Fantasy WRC Review: France - Dusty Ventures
Our new champion has been crowned and the greatest of all time has retired, by that mark alone Rallye de France was a historic event. A close fight among not just the two Sebs but Latvala, Sordo, and Neuville as well made it one of the best events of the year. Add to that live coverage of virtually every stage via Canal Sport and it was exactly what many say is what the WRC needs to be. Absolutely the diamond in the rough on the 2013 season.
- Top 5 reasons why you should watching Formula D this weekend - Somethingwittyer
I am an avid follower of Formula D. It’s a very interesting series to watch, what with the entire goal of it being to see just how sideways you can get (or in the case of the chase car, just how sideways and close you can get). However, I have realized that there a good few here that have some objections against drifting, or in this case Formula Drift. Most of you guys don’t follow it. Some have no idea how it works. Others don’t like the idea of any motorsport that’s based around judging. Hell, there are even people who flat out think drifting should not be a motorsport.
- An Entirely New Neighborhood Watch Concept - Dan Mosqueda
All of us have busy-body neighbors with the proverbial shrieks of "Get off my lawn!!!" spewing forth from their mouths. These are the grumpy know-it-alls leaning over the fence complaining about trouble in the hood who have high on their list of complaints "that kid in his hot rod tearing up the neighborhood." Sometimes they're right and other times they're imagining things since any motion over 5 mph in their little corner of the world translates into "they were driving like a bat out of hell." Well, the city of Columbia, Missouri is either going to empower them or shut them up.
"Value: 2/10: This is not the droid you're looking for. It has an unquenchable thirst for 93 octane, it depreciates like organic fruit and is expensive to repair if you're out of warranty. The only saving grace is that if you buy a CPO BMW, all maintenance is covered up to 60,000 miles and the warranty goes to 100,000. It blew a water pump 2 days before Christmas this year and it only cost me $50."
- Current American Cars that Need to Go - willkinton247
On my way home yesterday, I came to the realization that American cars have reached a point where there are more good ones than bad. There are so many good ones out there these days that are actually just as reliable as the Toyota's and Honda's that shamed them before, and are way more interesting! Case in point: the Fusion is just miles ahead of the Camry. I want to know, what American cars need to be pruned, so that the good ones can flourish and develop to be even better?
Yesterday was a good day. Just like last year, the Uni's karting team is running an event each term for students, and the first one was yesterday, once again at the Llandow Circuit, which is near Llandow in South Wales. Because none of us dare keep our cars in Swansea, we decided it would be best to rent something, like I did myself last year when I got a Vauxhall Corsa. This time, we got something much cooler, and I was driving again. So here's a 100-mile road test!
The Best of the Rest
Revrseat70 bought a spiffy Eunos Roadster. Bandit showed us his family's very original International K1 truck. AndersSim shared his trip to Monaco and the Meilenwerk V8 Hotel. Robert Maxwell shared his experience as a car enthusiast Navy man in Japan. Davesaddiction found a nice Porsche 930 in his parking garage. Turk shared some videos from a track day on his bike. Sean Bartlett ran into some of the Tour Americal procession. Mehugtree spotted a BMW X4 being tested. MaykoKetchup shared photos from a Corvette Show in Puerto Rico. ShiftsAndGiggles attached a GoPro to the vertical stabilizer of a plane. Tiny Toy Viper saw his first C7. JayhawkJake captured the turbo noise of his Sonic. Velocity shared some of the cars he saw on vacation. Vee Ate Injun celebrated his Corvette's birthday. Yowen did contractor duty with this Taurus SHO. Grawesome installed new wheels on his Range Rover.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion on thursday and Friday. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- What's your car's theme song?
- How have you stayed Accident Free?
- The Opposite Locker - WayBack Wednesdays - BMW M1
- Alfa 4C or new Corvette?
- Beautiful Things SFW
- Do you like to drive with one hand or both?
- To Blackout or Not to Blackout
- Recoloring leather
- One Car Garage - Mitsubishi
- What is the most beautiful F1 car of all time?!
- Your Favourite Car of All Time
- Craigslist Hunt: $35,000 German Muscle Car
- What car is worse with the stock manual?
- What Engine Would You Put In A Cobra?
- What If: The S197 Mustang Were As Good As It Looked?
- What's Your Favorite Picture Of Your Car?
- What Model Best Defines Its Brand?
- What Will Replace The Crossover?
- What car would you want to own for the rest of your life?
- What does your city use for police cars?
- What's the Most Forgettable Car Ever Built?
- One Car Garage - Renault
- What would you get with $3000?
- What is the Best Sounding Car You've Every Heard in Person?
- Which manufacturer is making the best engines today?
Just the #tips
- A 1927 Miller 91 Race Car built out of 3D printed parts
- One of Every M3 Generation for only 75k!?
- BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Video
- [BBC Documentary] Madness In The Desert: The Paris-Dakar Rally
- Caterham indoor drifting [hotd]
- BMW i3 drive test roundup
- Porsche has thrown together a website for the Macan
- Mark Webber tweeted this today...
- Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe owner review
- Hey Jeremy Clarkson! Is that a McLaren P1 you're testing?
- Close Call on a river crossing
- Swedes + Snowmobile + winter + PULSEJET! = The coolest people
- How a Llama saved motorists from getting caught speeding
- Russian Dash Cam, Planelopnik Department
- Mark Higgins Interviewed, Flogs a Subaru BRZ
- 0_O ... Loader balancing on the front wheels
- Boss 302 vs. GT-R: Place Your Bets!
- Video: Ferrari F430 Scuderia ride along and all you do is Instagram?
- Porsche sales continue to rise and the Cayenne still outsells all other models
- Great Jeep Craigslist ad
- Woman calls 911 because she's trapped in her car
- How To Fit In A Back Seat With A Half Cage (Why It's A Bad Idea)
- Idiot Escalade driver knocks down overhead sign, closes highway for hours
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock: