Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing last Wednesday and Thursday. It includes rallycross, the Toyota Corolla, an Alfa high and more.
Seriously, this is important…There is a form of motorsports for every skill level, budget and interest and its probably closer to you than you think. When it comes to smiles per dollar, rallycross is a clear winner in my eyes… Not convinced this is for you? Then let's address you're excuses.
- Why I'm in Love with a Toyota Corolla - James Gallagher
With a hollow cough, the four inline cylinders turn over. The cabin fills with the halfheartedly dampened sound of 126 anemic horses humming… Dull gray plastic glares back at me from every angle. From the headliner to the carpet, nothing but gray. This is the first time 50 shades of gray would be appealing, because at least they would release me from this monotonous one… Here am I, a car guy sitting in the blandest of cars, like a disappointed promotion-seeker confined to a cubicle. And I love it. It's a slow, uncomfortable pile of boring junk. But I love it.
- High on Alfa Part 1: Seduction and Destruction - BlythBros.
I can blame my middle school bus route past the import auto shop for the recent deluge of Alfa in my life. Our dad's 73 BMW 3.0 CS sometimes sat outside of the shop there, so in between sightings of the classic E9 coupe began a steady exposure to Alfa Romeo. It's necessary to note that the school bus never broke down, which at that point would have been the only opportunity, short of breaking down in an Alfa, for me to associate Alfas with a disregard for forward progress.
I consider myself to be a bit of a connoisseur of weird airplanes. So when something comes along that even I've never heard of, you know it's going to be crazy. I just learned of this one today: The Cornelius XFG-1
- Boeing Stratoliner 75th Anniversary - ttyymmnn
The Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner has turned 75 years old. Only 10 were built, one of which was purchased by Howard Hughes, but the Stratoliner ushered in the modern era of commercial aviation.
Commuting sucks. Throughout the evolution of the automobile and the cultures that have adopted it, this has transformed from something that didn't exist to an innate fact. During that evolution, the automobile underwent its own transformation - as a glorified novelty to a legitimate means of transportation to a strange yet perfectly harmonized hybrid of the two (well, a toy if not exactly a novelty)...back to a simple means of transportation.
- How To Stay Classy In A BMW 2002 Without Breaking The Bank - TheDailyTurismo
The classic car market is a dynamic place where certain makes and models are available as sum-of-their parts pricing while others have appreciated to collector only levels. If you don't have the coin to get into the rich kids club, but still want vintage motoring bliss, the BMW 2002 isn't a bad place to start.
- My Day With a 320i - Oppositelock Review - AndersSim
Its a cold winter morning in January, and my cousin is skiing in Norway. He has left his winter beater bimmer in my driveway for me to check it out. I'm terrible tempted to try out the Bavarian handling machine at first hand, and it only take mere seconds until I'm sitting comfortable, but also safely in the German cloth seats.
- 2014 Mazda3, The Canadian Jalop Review - Upshift
Mazda has always, as far as I can remember, had a reputation that matches it's "Zoom-Zoom" slogan. These cars that are made, first and foremost, to be fun to drive. Their cars have also been popular because of their Japanese heritage for better than average reliability and great value. I, however, have never owned or driven any of their products. This all changed last week.
- 2014 Subaru Forester: An Oppo Review/Can it drift? - JonathonW8
Subaru had no need for me to review the new Forester, but the idea came to me while I was in my parents car on the way home, so I asked if I could borrow it for a bit, they said that I could so long as I don't try and drift it, I said I promise I wouldn't, with my fingers crossed behind my back and I set off in a semi rapid pace, something that would soon stop after driving it for a bit.
- A Memorial for a fellow Jalop - JonathonW8
Three months ago, I wrote an article eulogizing Paul Walker after his unfortunate death. In that article I said that I would hope that anytime a car enthusiast passed, that we eulogize and truly memorialize that person for their contribution not only to our car culture, but for the impact they had on our lives. Well my dear Jalops, it pains me to write this as it is still fresh, but a man I loved and held in deep regard passed this last month, my grandfather Larry.
- I'm Excited About the Dream Chaser - vicariousILive
Check out this sweet goodness! That is the Dream Chaser spacecraft developed by the Sierra Nevada Cooporation. You probably haven't heard much about SNC and it's Dream Chaser mainly because their CEO isn't a douche-bag lunatic. But do you have to be a media whore to develop a successful spaceship? Hell no!
- F1 Technical on Oppo - Jerez Testing Day 1 - Fractal Footwork
Technical innovation is what makes Formula 1 so different from any other form of racing. The on track action is as much played out by the engineers and aerodynamicists as it is the drivers. We are here to admire, study, and discuss this beauty that exists on the ragged edge of what we think is possible, or at least what we thought was possible. Also read about Day 2.
- 'Till Death Do Us Part' - bahlZakkcc
What makes us so attracted by these cars? Is it our pride in our race? Is the Fast and the Furious to blame? Initial D, Wangan Midnight? Drifting? All these questions base our knowledge on how we first started in this auto-world, but in all honesty, what we love in the past may have been long gone. The Honda Civics, Integras, CRX's, Del Sol's, MX-5's, Celicas, MR2's and more defined the "Golden-Age" of Japanese Imports. From then on, JDM culture seems to be long gone? Or has it?
- Losing Your Faith in Humanity at the Montréal Auto Show... - Flavien Vidal
"I got free tickets to the Montreal Autoshow. Do you want to go?", asked my wife last friday. This is how started what would be a very, very dark day for me. I didn't plan to go to the show eventhough I live almost next to it. I went the year before and to be frank, unless you plan on buying a new minivan or a new sedan, autoshows are, at least for me, kind of boring. But I never saw the new Corvette, the Felino was doing its public premiere and it's free, so why not! All-in-all it was a rather basic autoshow... Exept for one thing. One big thing. An entire floor, dedicated to a tuner from the Montréal region, "Zone Performance".
The Best of the Rest
BrownDogWelding took photos of the cars of Bisbee, AZ. Distraxi photographed Ferraris at the NZ Festival of Motor Racing. Thomas Nourse shared some of his favourite shots from his old camera. Godspeed11 took the first snow drive in his Turbo X. Robert Maxwell posted part 2 and part 3 of his Subaru build in Japan. BiTurbo228 got the head for his Spitfire ported. Jlmounce found some photos of his '08 Mustang GT California Special. Offroadkarter got his BMW back on the road. Zipppy repaired his dads car and tore down a small block Chevy. D1ck engaged in some snowy shenanigans. 505 - morphine not found got his tuned up Peugeot out for its first hooning of the season. N2Skylark bought a Fiat 500. It's a "Porch-uh" gave his e39 a kidney transplant.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion last Wednesday and Thursday. Take a peek and chime in on some of those listed below:
- Who Are Your F1 Information Gurus?
- What's the fastest you've been?
- Story Time!
- The Holeshot - what say you?
- What's your favorite car brand?
- How Do You Photograph Cars Well?
- Match a car to a personality 13
- Which Would You Rather? Track Edition... Edition
- Let's say part 3
- What was your worst dealership experience?
- DD/Track/Burn - Le Mans Edition
- The BMW UK Site is so Much More Fun than the US Site
- I'm bored, ask me questions!
- Is the Enzo a good looking car?
- Which Would You Rather? 'Merica Edition
- Possible modern classic?
- How Does Oppo Feel About Sticker Bombing?
- Let's say part 4 (this is a fun one)
- Anyone have long-term rental car experience?
- Which would you choose?
- Help me find a friends car! It was impounded and sold at auction
- Compact Luxury Wagon Comparision
- Photoshop Contest: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
- What does your driveway look like?
- Which Would You Rather? 1000HP Unicorns Edition
- Badges, Ranked
- Match a car to a personality 14
- Stupid Hypotheticals - Sound Off!
Just the #tips
- Nice bike burnout
- They Survived
- Ferrari 40th anniversary movie
- IMSA is a mess
- Open Source Motorsport?
- Ferrari breadvan doing a lap of the Nurburg GP ring
- Semi Gets in Accident, Driver Loses It
- Airbagged Trailer
- A Piece Of Wisdom On How To Sell A Used Car
- Gigi Galli...
- Drunken Man Is Refused Service By Bartender So He Drives SUV Into Bar
- Drunk Bro Drives Golf Into House, Hurts Sleeping Mom
- V12 Celica
- Drift Garage: Episode 2
- THE 2014 Formula 1 Technical Innovation
- WRC posted this drawing on facetubes
- Rejoyce! Alfa Romeo's New Rear-Drive Platform is Named "Giorgio"
- Driving lessons from the almighty Colin McRae
- Extreme Engine Porn - 2013 Amsoil Engine Masters Competition Edition
- If you think you are having car trouble on the highway...pull the hell over
- Instant Karma
- Tyler Doohan honored by local firefighters
- SVT Focus @ Mt Fuji
- BMW M4 (F82) Coupe Exhaust Sound
- The Shelby Daytona Coupe is a piece of US heritage...officially
- A Cozy Coupe for adults (and a passenger)
- Reviving an F5000 car
- Jaguar Engineers talking about their V12
- You know what's going to happen
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted on Oppositelock:
- A Minor Car-Related Error On the Latest Archer Episode
- Rally Sweden Historic car porn being posted on WRC's FB page
- How to plow 1 inch of snow
- Too Epic To Not Share