Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing last Thursday through Sunday. It includes compact trucks, chick cars, a rant on Fiestas and millenials and more.
- Do compact trucks have a place anymore? - HammerheadFistpunch
There has been a lot of buzz surrounding the arrival of new, or rather re-introduced, players to the compact truck market, the promising Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon and I got to thinking about the small truck market. We've all hear the small truck market is dead or dying, so why now? is this just a desperate gamble, or shrewd timing? Do compact trucks have a place in this market?
- In defense of "chick" cars - Jeff Simmons
A while back I wrote that I think the original Audi TT is one of the best looking cars ever, and one I'd love to own. Over at another automotive website a commenter had this to say about the TT: I know this is a cult car, but to me it was always a chick mobile. Ouch. Quite the insult there. I've owned my share of "chick" cars and I have to say they are some of the best vehicles I've driven. Let's start with the original "chick" car or "hairdresser's" car as they used to say, the Mazda Miata
- This Maytag White E21 BMW 320is Is Not An Ordinary Appliance - TheDailyTurismo
The BMW 3-series arrived on the automotive landscape in 1976 as a replacement for the aging new class chassis (BMW 1600/2000/2002). The 3-series was an immediate hit and for a long time was the de facto yuppie car, but is now becoming a classic in its own right. Also check out The Elf Sized Daihatsu Hi-Jet Is Both Mini And Mighty and Is A Yellow Chopped Top Volvo 1800ES Custom A Lemon?
- A rant on Fiestas and Millenials - themanwithsauce
Well, I finally did it. I drove a Fiesta ST last night with the recaros and moonroof and everything. It was snowing, there was a lot of traffic, and people had been in accidents so I did very little hooning. I still liked the car… So I'm placing a deposit on my own Fiesta next weekend after the NAIAS. But this journey to a new car has bothered me a lot not because of anything I did, it's because of what everyone else has been saying to me along the way.
- Car Repair For The Non-Gearhead: A Photo Journey... - J. Drew Silvers
This is a pictorial journey for you to behold. My mother's car had a starting issue and after running a few tests, I figured out the problem and fixed the car for her, saving a $400 labor charge. I took pictures of the process and put it in terminology she or anyone not fluent in cars would be able to understand. You are welcome...
- 2014 BMW i3 First Drive Review - Blathering Seagulls
The BMW i3 is arguably one of the most important cars the company has ever produced. It also has a lot of brand heritage to live up to. Is the Bavarians' first big push into electric cars worth the hype?
- The Opposite Locker - FarOut Fridays - Detroit Auto Show - Fractal Footwork
This is The Opposite Locker - FarOut Fridays where we try and sort out the cool from the square when it comes to the automobiles of tomorrow (concept cars)… The 2014 Detroit Autoshow has come and gone, leaving us with a plethora of concepts; some will sway into a better light when the executives hit the boardroom, while others cripple and get tossed into a trashcan. Let's see if we can help them out any...
- PanchoVillenueve's Laws of Hoonage - PanchoVillenueve
This is something I've been wanting to put into writing for a while, as a longtime car nerd. These are the irrefutable truths of cars, as far as I am concerned. These are gospel. These are science. You will never be able to convince me otherwise.
- No longer the right "Fit" for me - Upshift
And so approaches the end of a 9 month relationship with my Honda fit. Warning, rant ahead! Why, you ask? Because it's the wrong fit (get it?) for me and my personal needs. I loved it at first! It was fun in the city, fuel efficient and incredibly roomy and versatile!
- Tips on: Cleaning up the fucking garage! - Grindintosecond
Look, I moved in a few weeks months YEARS ago...and the garage is still packed up with junk. I tried to organize the things in boxes into a pitch/keep pile but it's now a pile with boxes on top of it. I have learned many things in the last few attempts. Here's a few tips of what I learned.
- More on Cadillac - mr_benjamin_rolland
Why that caricature of a car? Because to me, that's the quintessential Cadillac. Somebody saw that car, decided that it was the best thing they could buy, dropped an excessive amount of money on it, and treasured it. While I never really liked Cadillac, I am absolutely, completely, head-over-heels in love with the IDEA of Cadillac. A yankee stab at vault like german luxury, and the stately, elegant brits.
Robert Kubica showed everyone why everyone is keeping an eye on his progress in WRC. The rally started in typical manner: It was dark, there was snowfall, and nobody knew where the road would be dry and where it's slippery.
- Rally Monte Carlo - it is in the books - FreddsterExprs
After 3 crazy days, it is over. We have got a winner and 2 surprise podium finishers. Ogier showed why he is the best driver currently and dominated the event after day 1. The win was well deserved thanks to his speed and consistency. Bryan Bouffier in his private Ford managed to keep it together and beat most of the bigger names in rally - a good sign for his new employer Hyundai.
- Why Bernie should back-up HAAS' F1 BID... - Menebrio
It's no new news that Bernie has been trying to get a new race slot in the US of A. Lack of funds and other nuts and bolts haven't fallen into place yet. But with the possibility that Nascar's HAAS could join the sport with a big budget, if I where Bernie, I'd front part of the team, in an effort to ramp up and recover my investment (plus some extra "interest") via F1 and/or a new US circuit.
The Best of the Rest
JACU and his wife took a driving vacation in their s2000. Jbh had a very Porsche-y day. Stevo777 took some pictures of his F10. -Amateur held a Hot Wheels snow rally. Twinturbobmw posted photos from Portland C&C and took photos and video of a 991 GT3. Rattleface Blouses also attended PDX C&C. Patrick George spotted the best car wash sign ever. Slow4o finished installing the Watts link in his Mustang and posted photos from his favourite shop. Goggles Pizzano picked up some very cool die-casts. DanMosqueda got some new rims for his e46. Decay did a photoshoot with some Toyobarus. TA4K30 posted photos from the Ferrari Festival of Motor Racing in NZ. WhiskeyGolf replaced his Golf, with a Golf. ShiftsAndGiggles engaged in some snowy shenanigans. CrazedClay reviewed the 2013 Compass and looked back through his vehicular history with some old photos. Victorious Secret got to drive a Ferrari FF and Maserati Ghibli. Echo51 ran into the Danish Corvette owners club. Battery Tender Unnecessary shared some video of his e39 M5. Team5.0 drifted his Mustang 5.0.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion between last Thursday and Sunday. Take a peek and chime in on some of those listed below:
- WHY DO YOU HATE STANCE???
- All The Best Cars Have Circular Headlights
- What do you require in a DD?
- How much horsepower is too much?
- What Car Model Was Not Shamed By The Debut of it's Replacement?
- What do you drive?
- Best DD for a Car Enthusiast?
- Ruf or Singer?
- Morning Hypothetical: After Market Edition
- What is your favorite stock shift knob?
- What car has the nicest trunk?
- What Car Is Perfect For Delaware?
- What car is perfect for Colorado?
- Have you taught someone to drive a manual?
- What new cars still have an ashtray?
- What car would you buy if only it had a manual?
- Would You Rather Have a Renault GTA Alpine or a Lotus Esprit?
- The Best Steering Wheel Ever - BMW M4 Performance
- Car Manufacturers Picking the Wrong Names Lately?
- What happens when an automaker reaches the pinnacle of design?
- When did it hit you?
- Anybody have any experience with vinyl wrapping?
- What are everyone's favorite three-speed cars?
- Which Would You Rather? Schnelles Auto Edition
- Favorite Fictional Car Guy?
- Friday Evening Question #6: Ugliest Dream Garage (night repost)
- COTD: 'I love what you've done here' or 'What the hell did you do?'
- Honda Needs to Get Into the RWD Coupe Segment Within 3 Years
- What have you done to your car lately?
- Which Would You Rather? AWD Super Turbo Luxury Speed Machines Edition
- Would You Rather Own: Land Yachts for Different Gangsters (Op. 4)
- Post a pic of your car, right now, in the snow
- Which Would You Rather - Extra
- Buildsheet: A Game About Building Your Own Car
- Discuss: MR2 Spyder
- Best RENTAL CAR you have experienced?
- Is it worth it to convert my drums to discs?
- Name a NON TURBO hot hatch produced before 2004
- Superbowl Ad Idea Contest
Just the #tips
- Matt Johnston, Creator of "Easier Said Than Done" Just Posted His Demo Reel
- Finding a Career in Motorsports
- Audi TT RS Pitstop - 25hrs of Thunderhill
- Watch this dad let his daughter do donuts in their C6
- 1850 HP Lambo: 0-254 MPH in under 21 seconds from a standing start
- Maurice Hamilton - I talked my way in
- Lexus RC F fancy gauges and sweet V8 sound!
- Mandela's grandson charged with road rage
- The Cheap[er] E46 M3 Final Drive Upgrade
- Kimi on F1 2014 changes...
- Porsche 911 GT1 Driven - (very briefly)
- Rediscover SportsCar
- Click One Step To The Left, And Watch Your Whole World Change
- Wild Crosswind Landings at LHR
- Drift documentary
- My Superpower: The Ability to Annoy My Wife
- Fight Breaks Out After the Second Chili Bowl B-Main
- AutoCar Test Drives the McLaren P1
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted on Oppositelock:
- WRC Monte Carlo: Update before the final day
- 70,000 Pilots and 50 Years - The T-38 Talon
- Hot Rod of dreams: Small Block Chevy swapped Mercedes W123 Wagon
- 2014 Formula 1 Launch Schedule
- Cars that don't get enough Love: Audi Coupe GT