Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing on Tuesday and Wednesday. It includes driving a Prius, upgrading and maintaining your car on the cheap, the 110th anniversary of heavier-than-air flight and more.
- The Transporter Drives: FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!! - Pistol Pete
I've only driven the Prius very short distances in my job as a rental car transporter, so when I had the opportunity (read: I drew the short straw) to transport one from Goldsboro to get an oil change, I took the opportunity to give it a fair shake.
This is a follow up to my original article Buying Car Parts on the Cheap. So you have a nice daily driver that's fun to drive or you have nice project car and you need to do maintenance on it. There are many paths to approach this and you can replace with OEM or OEM-equivalent parts or you can do some upgrades in the process.
- 110th anniversary of the first heavier than air flight - JayhawkJake
This exact moment 110 years ago Orville Wright lifted off the ground in an airplane powered by its own motor. He flew 120 feet in 12 seconds, which today seems like such an unimpressive feat. While the flight itself may not have been spectacular, the industry born from it is nothing short of incredible.
To commemorate the occasion, JayhawkJake put together several posts highlighting significant first flights:
- First Flight Tuesday: Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny"
- First Flight Tuesday - Douglas DC-3
- First Flight Tuesday - Cessna 172 Skyhawk
- First Flight Tuesday - Boeing 707
- First Flight Tuesday - Space Shuttle Columbia
- First Flight Tuesday - 2013 Firsts
- Jaguar XFR-S Review - The Ultimate 'Jaaaaag'? - Zaman Bux
Recently, Jaguar Land Rover kindly invited me to try out a range of their cars. Once I got there, I was absolutely overwhelmed with the amount of cars they had to offer, almost every car from Range Rover and Jaguar was there, however, there was a lack of XKR-S GT, but then again, there was plenty of other cars to keep you occupied, such as the brand-spankin' new and rare XFR-S. Also check out Zaman's review of the 2014 Jaguar XJR.
As always, no adventure is complete without a few mishaps. Such is the life of a gearhead, and we learn to live depending on our wits, hands, and caffeine to get us where we want to go. My trip to Oklahoma to move my 1967 Mustang to my new house depended on all three, as well as a bit of luck.
- You'd Have To Be Nuts To Hang Around Near This Jimmy - TheDailyTurismo
The S/T-15 Jimmy was GMC's sister car to the popular Chevy Blazer compact SUV and upscale Oldsmobile Bravada. The factory hot rod Typhoon was quick, but child's play compared to this one which driving around is best described as the motoring equivalent of undescended testicles —literally nuts in a Jimmy.
- The super jeep that never was - HammerheadFistpunch
I just discovered this after looking for the 99 Jeepster concept from the article on Truck Yeah. It's the 1997 Jeep Cherokee Casablanca. And aside from the stupid name and the dorky lights...this is 100% how I pictured my dream Cherokee.
- MT COTY Watch #2.5: On CUVs and What the Hell, MT? - NotInDetroit
Once upon a time people with more than 2.5 kids didn't care because they had sedans that could seat three across with two rows, baby! But they quickly learned that sucked so someone replaced the boot with a big glass area with a bench seat that faced rearward that also folded down if you wanted to use it as a boot again (with the bonus of being able to stack things so high you can't see anything when backing out)...
The Kei car story on Jalopnik makes me sad. Simply because the first car I ever drove with my own hands and feett is one of these, a Suzuki Wagon R. Rebadged in Indonesia as a Suzuki Karimun. This car may be familiar for those that play Gran Turismo. It's small, light and quite agile but because it's a bit too tall it was scary at high speeds. The top speed is about 100 mph (if you got enough balls and runway to max it out) simply because the gearing was very tall, for efficiency sake.
The Best of the Rest
DatASSun ditched his Hyundai for a 260z. RicePuddin' photographed some Subarus. Godspeed11 fixed a coolant hose on his Saab. GTCL attended a Cars and Coffee over the weekend. MR2_FTW tore down the struts for his Cressida wagon. DasWauto learned from Red Green. Msatlas documented some of his favourite roads. André picked up an EP3. CounterTorqueSteer's dealership got in its first 50th anniversary 911. Mycarneverruns87 got some parts in for his Mustang. Speedmonkey got to sample several Porsches. Sanchez found some weird trike thing. NinetyQ took his Audi 90 out for some snow hoonage. Cazzyodo reaped the benefits of his snow tires. BiTurbo228 has bad luck buying parts for his XJ40. 505Turbeaux posted some pictures of his last FSJ. Lumpy44 did some work on his Honda 5-0 project.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion on Tuesday and Wednesday. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- Conversational Tactics - An Oppo Guide
- The cruel gas guzzling double standard
- Supercars you didn't know about
- Help Me Decide: Porsche 944 vs. Miata vs. E36 M3
- Help me decide which one will be my next vehicle!
- iRacing Tips for a n00b
- CarDomaining - "You Decide" edition
- Chinese Rat Rods, show us your favorite "3rd world" rides
- '80s Cool?
- What Are The Best Auto Names For Dogs?
- What's your lottery car(s)?
- Oppo Open Floor (Topic: sharing comments to Oppo)
- What is your favorite wheel brand?
- Do you know your racing hand signals?
- Craigslist Hunt: $5,000 Miata Rival
- BMW Z1 Vs. Renault Sport Spider, wich do you choose?
- How to explain the awesomeness of Holden to a non-enthusiast?
- Am I the only person who believes this is the best DD ever?
- What Color Would You Get it In: Lamborghini Murcielago
- Which Would You Rather? Sex on Wheels Edition
- What does your key say?
- What are the best/worst cars you've driven in 2013?
- Engine Location Trickery
- Favorite comments of the year
- Hockey Rant
- To bundt or not to bundt?
- Help Me Oppo, You're My Only Hope.
- Help Me Oppo: Your'e My Only Hope. Part Deux
- GT6 Nürburgring Production Car Time Trial Competition
- Why can't we have factory remote start & a manual transmission?
- How many of you have a neutral safety switch?
- How Do We Feel About This Car? (996)
- Dear Jalopnik, Harden the Fuck Up!
- Help Me Pick an Impractical & Insane Daily Driver to Write About
- Which cars will still be acceptable in 10 years?
- What Car is the Most Fun and Frugal Per Mile?
- Batshit Babe Minigame, this time it's personal!
- Help Us Pick A Truck Yeah! Logo!
- What Successor Looked Worse Than The Predecessor?
- What are OPPO's favorite drinking games?
- What Color Would You Get it In: Bentley Continental GT
- Is there Any Car that have More Special Version than Fiat 500?
- Which Would You Rather? Super Stockers Edition
Just the #tips
- Dutch VW Commercial
- Jingle Bells: Symphony of Thunder
- A Seat Leon Super Cup Owners Manual, for Your Viewing Pleasure
- This is What an Inline 4 Should Sound Like
- Avus was nucking futs
- Proof That 3-D Printing Will Change Aviation Forever
- 50 insane driving laws from around the world
- No used car ad will ever be better
- Truck loaded with 15 tons of explosives just went off in Norway
- Vintage Timex Commercial featuring Emerson Fitipaldi
- One of the Most Badass Soviet Russian Car You'll See Run Down the Road
- Whitest White People Ever Rap About Their Prius V
- Holden me closer tiny Datsun
- Double Crane Fail
- Drifting practice on the Nurburgring
- It Is Illegal to Wash Your Car In Your Driveway In New York
- Allan Mcnish's thoughts on Retirement
- 1997 Imprezza RS ex-diesel racecar
- Like racing? Like the 70s? Like Documentaries? Have a 70's Racing documentary
- Crazy w/ a good helping of batshit: LS1 6-Spd 1974 Toyota Celica
- Radical RXC takes on Goodwood Hillclimb
- Flame Throwing Daihatsu
- Yes, this is a license-produced Honda Accord
- i8 Key cradle. Once again, forums come through where BMW's press dept fails
- What On Earth Thinks You Make I'm Drunk, Officer?
- In Russia We Use Tanks as Tow Trucks
- Muscle Milk Pickett Racing will not be in a Daytona Prototype
- Lamborghini prototype with Rally lights
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock:
- A few thoughts on owning a Fiat 500 Abarth
- A Pilot Explains How To Avoid Getting Screwed After January 5th
- Best Key Fob Of All Time?
- How Had I Never Heard Of This Car Before?
- This Custom Mustang Will Haunt Your Dreams
- I don't like the E30 M3